Saturday, November 20, 2010

Photo of the Bisti Wilderness

Bisti Badlands-De-Na-Zin

I am on my way to the Farmington BLM (Bureau of Land Management) after a 5 year stint at Canyon de Chelly National Monument. About a month ago, I couldn't picture myself leaving that Park but I have to go because of funding. I am going to an area that is heavily into oil and gas exploration and some really cool recreation activities. One of the main areas on the Farmington unit, is the Bisti Wilderness or Bisti Badlands as some locals call it. It's really cool if your a rock hound. Some say that this is the area where they faked the moon landing in 1969. I think it's a real cool place and I will be checking the area out for hiking and biking trails. This is also a paleontologist meca and I think there is some cool dinosaur bones that have been discovered in the area. If I am not mistaken, this area was once underwater and when the glaciers retreated, it left these spectacular hoodoos and rock formations. It should be fun to see some new areas at my new duty station of Northern New Mexico. Tess

1 comment:

  1. The pictures you posted are beautiful. Is that Navajo Hogan the one at White House?
    Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete