Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bon Appetit! Julie and Julia the Movie


I watched the movie Julie and Julia the other night and I found it to be a refreshing and fun story. It is about a girl named Julie Powell who decides to start a blog about cooking every one of Julia Childs recipes from her book "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." She gave herself one year to cook 524 recipes. It was a fun movie that combined Julia Childs and Julie Powells memoirs in one. Of course Meryl Streep was incredible...she is an amazing actress.

I have to admit I did not know much about Julia Childs. I only knew that she had a cooking show on television when I was a kid and that she had a very 'interesting' voice. Of course the Saturday Night Live skit that Dan Aykroyd did sticks out in my mind as well. Watch the skit and then watch this other video with the 'real' Julia Childs. I hope to read more about her. She seemed so happy, positive and real.

I have to admit that eating French food every day for a while is truly an experience. The five course meals were more than I could handle. Eating out in France is a lengthy process...you do not go in to a restaurant and expect to leave in an hour. Try four hours or more! Being a waiter or a chef is a coveted job and they get paid well for it. The chefs in France truly are rock stars. Plus the wine in France is cheaper than buying a bottled water. OOOOlala!


Now I am not claiming to be a great cook, baker or a domestic goddess but the movie did give some inspiration. Julie Powell wrote a blog and it gained many, many followers...I figured with electricity, a computer and an internet connection all things are possible! Yes, there are zillions of blogs out there in cyberspace. But, we can make ours stand out in the crowd by posting fun, interesting and helpful blog posts for the world to read! Isn't the world wide web amazing? Please tell us some of your memories of Julia Childs or any other fun travel adventures!

That is all for now...Enjoy and Bon Appetit!

Anne

2 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to see the movie. I would love to be a better cook. That will be my resolution as well. Cooking with fresh herbs and vegetable. Keep it simple. Tess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch the movie! Meryl Streep steals the show! :)

    ReplyDelete