Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sesame Street is 40! Where has the time gone?


Wow, this news is really making me feel old! Sesame Street is 40 years old! Ok, I am not sure what the relevance is but I felt compelled to write about it anyway. I was telling my kids that I grew up watching Sesame Street and my daughter asked if it was filmed in black and white. I thought it was funny because there were black and white television sets back in the day but I believe we had moved up in the world and had a color television (Mom you might have to refresh my memory). I also had to remind her that they were filming in color by this time. Geez, what is she thinking? I reminded her that we were not riding around in a horse and buggy at that time either. She looked at me a little perplexed and then caught on to the joke quickly enough. Boy, nothing get's past her. I also tried to explain to her that we didn't have the millions of kids shows like they have these days (another puzzled look). Ahhh, kids these days! Good times, good times.....

I will never forget all the fun puppet characters of Sesame Street...who could forget? Jim Henson was a genius! The silly skits and animation really proved to help children learn ABC's and counting. Gotta love the Count Dracula...and of course my favorite Kermit the Frog and let's not forget Bert and Ernie, the odd couple. Those were the days of life just a little bit simpler.

By the way, I still have my big bird stuffed animal which looks a little haggard at this point but he still brings back memories and NO I don't have it on my bed anymore. He is packed away in a safe place for one of my kids to have someday. Just to note...these photos aren't posters I still have on my walls...they are from an online source. Until next time...Anne

3 comments:

  1. Can you sing the entire Beverly Hillbillies theme song? Dave and I can! Now, THAT'S old!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come 'n listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed
    A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed
    And then one day, he was shootin' at some food
    And up through the ground come a bubblin' crude
    Oil, that is, black gold, Texas tea

    / C - G - / - - C - / - - F - / G - - C / - - - - /

    Well, the first thing you know, old Jed's a millionaire
    Kin folk said, Jed, move away from there
    Said, Californy is the place you oughta be
    So they loaded up the truck and they moved to Beverly
    Hills, that is, swimmin' pools, movie stars

    Well, now it's time to say goodbye to Jed and all his kin
    They would like to thank you folks for kindly droppin' in
    You're all invited back again to this locality
    To have a heapin' helpin' of their hospitality
    Hillbilly, that is, set a spell, take your shoes off

    Y'all come back now, hear?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I can remember Anner and Eric watching Sesame Street, Electric Company,and Mr.Rogers. The thing I remember most was Count Dracula, Bert and Ernie, and probably those players on the Electric Company. tess

    ReplyDelete